Publish date: 2016-03-16 12:51:56
Almost everyone is familiar with the Cadillac Eldorado. In this article, we’ll review the brief history and we will be focusing on the 6th generation since it was one of the sportiest full-sized luxury cars in the late ‘60s.
Cadillac had manufactured Eldorado from 1953 to 2002. Since its inception, these cars signify some of the most expensive cars available in America.
The 1957 model was distinguished as one of GM’s most outstanding designs. Released in March 1957, the series 70 Eldorado Brougham was an ultra-luxury car meant for rich peoples and celebrities because of its expensive price tag ranging from $13,000 to $15,000. It was a huge amount of money back in the late 50’s.
This car was powered with dual four-barrel V-8 and featured some new improvements like the first automatic two-position “memory” power seats, automatic trunk opener, high-pressure cooling system, cruise control, electric antenna, polarized sun visors, automatic-release parking break, electric door locks, sliver magnetized glove box, stainless roofs, power windows, forged aluminium wheels and air conditioning. There’s only 800 units produced and 400 of them were sold in 1957 which makes them highly collectible.
A restyled Eldorado was introduced in 1967. It shared the E-body platform with the second generation Buick Rivera and Oldsmobile Toronado. The man behind its distinctive and unique design was GM styling chief Bill Mitchell. This car was more like a dressed-up Cadillac De Ville and it was the first Cadillac that had concealed headlights behind vacuum operated doors. While the interior remains at the top of its league with reclining seats, headrests and power everything, interior lighting became a standard feature in these sixth generation cars.
Advertised as a “personal” Cadillac. They made a huge departure from the previous model’s design as well as standard engine and transmission; it was the first time since Cadillac utilizes a front wheel drive which they adopted from Oldsmobile Toronado.
In 1967, they mounted a small 426 cubic inch engine with 375 HP while in 1968, they put a 472 cu in and then in 1970, a 500 cubic inch V-8 was introduced with a 400 HP and 550 foot-pounds torque rating.
A scenario however caused fright to people during the period. They did not welcome the setting of utilizing a chain to channel power from the biggest V8 to the front wheels of a certain huge automobile. In the long run, the reliability was verified for this combination between the massive engine and the front-wheel drive THM-425 transmission. The car recorded a top speed of 125 mph and made it the best-selling Eldorado in Cadillac history till that period.